Friday, January 16, 2009

Inspiration - LIVE...

Often times when you talk to people who have had a significant weight loss and kept it off they will tell you about their motivating factor. They almost always have one and it is something very real to them. I call this the "IT". What is the one thing that is going to truly motivate you to make a healthy lifestyle change? The answer is your "IT".

I always thought my "IT" would be completely about physical change. "I don't want my kids to be embarrassed to introduce me to their friends because of how I look." "I'm tired of being the fat mom at all of the school parties and events." "I want to be able to walk from the basement to the third floor bedrooms without being so light-headed from lack of oxygen that I think I'm going to pass out!" "I don't want my stomach to be the part of my body that sticks out the farthest (if you know what I mean)."

Now I am beginning to realize that my "IT" is not really about a physical change. Oh sure, those physical changes will be a great bonus, but they are not motivating - they are the result. My "IT" is about wanting to live. I have to want to be healthy. I have to want to live a healthy lifestyle. I want to live up to what God created me for!! I CAN'T do that living how I currently live! Ephesian 4:1 says, "As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received." Are you doing that now? I haven't been. What is worthy about being so unhealthy? Of setting a poor, poor example to my kids? Right now I exercise sometimes. I eat whatever, whenever, so that completely negates the exercise I do. These actions in no way show how grateful I am to God for all He gives me and all He promises me. Bu I can change this. I can choose to live!

Everyone needs to find their own inspiration. You might do this by making a trip to the doctor and him telling you "Listen your going to die or be on 10-15 different medications to keep you alive if you don't change your lifestyle." It might be from wanting to keep up with "the Jones'." It might be from wanting to fit into those size 10 jeans that you have had since before you found out you were pregnant with your first child. Or your inspiration might come from the Bible and from the Holy Spirit. I certainly believe that if you pray and ask and then wait and listen, God will lead you to your "IT". After that it's time for you to step up and take responsibility. God can inspire you, but He won't make you follow through...that's YOUR job!!

2 comments:

  1. My "IT".....

    isolation
    illusion
    idleness
    ignoble
    illness
    image
    imperfect

    Need I go on???? I tried to take on all these "its" alone many times.....the results?? victory maybe for awhile...but eventually, same results......why??

    I now know I can't do it ALONE! I need a leader/coach/inspiration....I need GOD!!

    My heartrate increases with the thought of this journey.....will it be easy???? Absolutely NOT!! Will I stumble???? Oh I'm sure I probably will...but, that's ok.....I know I'm NOT alone!!

    oh yeah, I'm also leaning on you my dear Carrie D. I love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are inspiring. I am so grateful God laid it on your heart to lead our First Place 4 Health group.

    I know how hard it is to lose weight and keep it off. I know I need accountability to someone.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete