Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Nasty Four Letter Word...DIET


When you hear or even think about the word diet, do you immediately feel chains binding you up? This one little four letter word can invoke fear, desperation, even a deep sense of failure. Why? Why do we let a simple word do that to us? For me it's because I have let this word dominate and defeat me in the past. Not just once either...over and over. I can't tell you the number of times I have tried a diet (THE diet) just to face failure or to give up a few days or weeks later because it was hard work and it is easier to not diet. I have decided that I can't play the diet game anymore. I decided that I don't want that nasty 4 letter word in my vocabulary anymore. After I decided that, God led me to an acrostic for the word diet. D.I.E.T. A whole new way of thinking about this word. This acrostic is going to bring inspiration. Before we get into that, here are a few things to think about.

The first thing you have to ask yourself is are you ready for life change? And willing to work for it? It won't be easy. It's something you will have to consciously choose to do every day! You will have to sacrifice and tell yourself NO! WHAAAAAT? Is this as unheard of for you as it is for me? It's not going to be easy. Life change never is...but it will be worth it!

Second, do you know that your body is important to God? We need to acknowledge that He created our bodies to be used for His purpose. Can you do that if you are unhealthy and overweight? Romans 12:1 tells us, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship." If you have accepted Christ as your Savior, your body is a temple for the Holy Spirit. We have to clean up our temples. My God doesn't deserve a fat pit!! He deserves a well toned, healthy, properly functioning temple that can be used and used as He sees fit. I know that I can lean on Him to get the strength that I need to achieve that.

Third, you have to follow Jesus' words in Matthew 16:24-25 and deny yourself. Deny yourself: at mealtime, at exercise time, during family get together's (if you have to skip the pot luck to avoid overeating, then do it), and even when you are just sitting around watching TV. You also must identify and take up your cross(es). What is your weight-loss/health cross? I personally have several - eating too much at meal time, not eating on a regular schedule, and late night snacking. I was discussing the late night snacking with a friend and telling her about the 9:00 bell that goes off inside of me to signal it is time to eat - nothing healthy either, chocolate and chips. She told me of someone who just started going to bed whenever she felt the late night munchies. She apparently was very rested!

Next time I will get into the D.I.E.T. acrostic. I think you will find it as enlightening as I did. Until then search your heart and determine if you are ready to break the chains of the diet fear. Are you ready to embrace life change, accept that our bodies belong to God and need to be cleaned up, and be ready to deny ourselves and take up our crosses? I am and I hope you join me.

1 comment:

  1. can you say "CONVICTION"? how about "ACCOUNTABILITY"? Thanks Carrie!!! My heart is SCREAMING.....YES/AMEN/ABSOLUTELY/SIGN ME UP!!! My head (maybe it's really my stomach, hmmm?! I'm not really sure what it is, but it is LOUD & consistent!) is not screaming, but sternly saying, "are you kidding me?"..."do you realize the sacrifice?"..."RUN!!!! (and not for exercise!)
    I'm praying for strength...I want to feel better, live better, be better........for me & the LORD!!

    ReplyDelete